The acceptance letters will be coming. Now, you are faced with the “big” decision. You are going to spend 4 years at a college or university – you don’t want to make a mistake. How do you choose the right school for you?
- Think honestly about your options. Did you put a school on your list only because your parents or guidance counselors wanted you to apply? If you have no intention of attending a certain school, eliminate it.
- Can you picture yourself there? Can you see yourself living there, going to class, and making friends at the school?
- Be realistic. With economic realities, consider the cost of tuition, traveling expenses, etc.
- Visit the school again. You might want to visit the school one more time. Perhaps, you can arrange to stay over on campus – which will give you another view of the school.
- Make a list of the pros and cons. What do you like about the school; what are the negatives?
Don’t wait until the last minute. You have to decide about dorms, etc. At some point, you just have to commit to a certain school.